Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Speedy TV Tutorial - Inking Embossing Folders

I was the Featured Design Team member today on the Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Company's, blog, as part of the on-going Tutorial series on Speedy TV.  Today's tutorial is on Inking Embossing Folders -- check out the tutorial here.  I have two examples of that technique here on my blog today.  The first one is the card I made in my tutorial.


It took me a while to master this technique (and I’m still trying to perfect it) – so don’t be discouraged if your first try doesn’t work well.  One of my favorite folders for this technique is the Sizzix “Bricked” embossing folder.  I have found that a water-based ink pad works best for this technique.  Memento ink is my choice. 

Open the folder and gently rub your ink pad across one side.  I usually try to use the side that will be embossed into the card stock.  (I’m not sure if that’s the embossed side or the debossed side.  I can never remember which is which.)
Step Two:
Carefully place your card stock on the side without the ink.  This reduces any smearing that might occur if you place the card stock on the inked side.







Step Three:
Run your folder through your Cuttlebug or Big Shot as usual.

Step Four:
Using water-based ink makes clean-up a snap.  Just put it under running water, and it cleans up very nicely.
Step Five:
Now you can use your cardstock as a very nice background for your card, the same way you would use an embossed panel or designer paper.

Here is my finished card.  The stems were made using a long Sizzix die called Birds and Branches, and the flowers were punched out with a Marvy punch.  The sentiment is from a set from Mark’s Finest Papers, a Heinrich Company, called Oopsy Daisy, which was released in May.  The grass is a Fiskar’s border punch.





The second one is a card I had made some time ago -- coincidentally with the same Bricked embossing folder.


If you haven't tried this technique before, I hope you give it a try.  Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Lena95469 said...

wow Lois these are fantastic!!! I love this embossing folder and have tried to find it around here but no such luck. Im going to have to try this teqnique because your cards are just awesome!!!

Designing with Debbie said...

Beautiful cards Lois. I can't wait to try this technique.

Karabrts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.