Friday, April 12, 2013

Faux Leather Using Embossing Folders

I was asked to write a tutorial on a technique I learned several years ago -- faux leather using an embossing folder.  I just purchased a 4-folder Cuttlebug set called Animal Prints, and one of the folders looks like lizard skin.  I'm using that folder for my tutorial.


To make an A2 card with a faux leather background, here are the supplies you will need:

Brown cardstock cut 4” x 5 ¼” (I used MFP Hazelnut Tan
Two shades of darker brown ink (I used Tim Holtz Distress Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain)
Sponge applicators
VersaMark
Embossing folder (I used a Cuttlebug animal print)
Clear embossing powder
Cuttlebug or Big Shot
Heat tool




Step 1
Sponge lighter shade of brown to the cardstock.




Step 2
After completely covering cardstock with first brown color, sponge darker shade of brown around the edges.




Here is a photo of the cardstock after both shades of brown have been applied.  Note that colors are not evenly applied.  This will give some additional texture.




Step 3
Place cardstock inside embossing folder so that the sponged side will be the embossed side.  Run through the Cuttlebug or Big Shot.




Step 4
Rub darkest brown ink over the embossing.




Step 5
Cover entire piece of cardstock with VersaMark, making sure that debossed sections are also covered with VersaMark.




Step 6
Cover entire piece of cardstock with clear embossing powder.




Step 7
Carefully emboss using heat tool.




Here is the completed faux leather piece.




You can now create your card in any way you wish.  This background looks good on a masculine card.

Here is my finished card.


I hope you found this tutorial helpful and will give this interesting technique a try.

4 comments:

Davi said...

FAB card and tutorial Lois!! That really looks so real Im going to try that :)

kReN said...

I love this. Can't wait to try it. TFS! kren

wannabcre8tive said...

Wow, that is an awesome technique. I like it. Thanks, so much for sharing.

Paru Mahtani said...

Wow! What a fab technique and tutorial! thanks so much for sharing!