Monday, April 10, 2017

Framed Plumeria

Today I've made a card using some new-to-me CottageCutz dies. I love making shaped flowers, and the Plumeria die allowed me to have a bit of fun.  I thought I was unfamiliar with the plumeria, so I Googled it.  As it turns out, the frangipani is a common variety of plumeria -- and I actually had a frangipani in my yard at a house in which I lived many years ago.  Here's my card:


Supplies used on this card are:

Orchid cardstock - 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" folded in half, scrap for circle
Pale orchid cardstock - approximately 3 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Patterned paper - 4" x 5 1/4"
White cardstock - approximately 4" x 5 1/2" to cut frame, scrap for circle, larger piece to cut flowers
Green cardstock - larger enough to cut leaves
Scrap of yellow cardstock
Sentiment stamp
Copic markers - Y02, Y04, Y21, RV00, RV63, E71
Green ink
Embossing folder
Micro glue dots
Circle punches
Foam tape


I must admit that, when I start a card, I do NOT meticulously plan out what it is going to look like.  I usually have half an idea in my head and sort of roll with it, and I wasn't sure just how many flowers and leaves I was going to need to complete my card.  So I cut several sets of the Plumeria and Leaves, plus one set of the Leafy Foliage.


As I mentioned before, I didn't think I knew anything about the plumeria; so in order to color the petals, I Googled "plumeria" and found this photo.


Using several shades of red-violet and yellow, I colored all my die-cut flowers.


Using a sponge, I gave the leaves some shadowing; and I colored the branches and the flower centers with Copic markers.


As you can see on the photo of the plumeria flowers, the petals are slightly layered over each other.  So I snipped between the petals and, using micro glue dots, layered the petals over each other so they looked a bit more realistic.


Then I cut all the pieces to make the card base . . .



. . .  and constructed my card.  Before adhering the background inside the frame with foam tape, I embossed the pale orchid piece of cardstock.  Here is a close-up showing all the dimension created by layering the leaves, flowers, and frame.


I then stamped the sentiment, punched it out, layered it on a punched orchid circle and adhered the circle on the side of the frame.  By the way, I still have some already-colored blossoms left that I can use for another card!



CottageCutz dies used on this card are:


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzplumeriaandleaves4x4pre-order.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzleafyfoliage4x6pre-order.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzpiercedwiderectangleframesetbasics.aspx

1 comment:

Winnie and Patty said...

Beautiful Lois!!!! I can almost smell the wonderful fragrance! TFS