Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Santa Scene Luminary

Last week I posted a photo of a luminary on Facebook that I had made using a CottageCutz Santa Village Scene, some white cardstock and vellum.  Several people asked me if there were instructions somewhere, and I had to admit that I had made it up as I went along.  I promised to make another one, take photos along the way, and write out the instructions.  Here is the one I just made.


For the outside of the luminary I cut the heavyweight white cardstock as follows:

1 piece - 4 1/4" x 10 1/2"
4 strips - (2) 1/8" x 4 1/4" and (2) 1/8" x 5 1/4"

And a piece of vellum 4 1/4" x 5 1/4"



I scored the long white piece at 1/8", 2 5/8", 7 7/8", and 10 3/8".


I folded on the score lines and burnished the fold lines to that they were very crisp.


Then I applied liquid glue to the back of the die cut . . .


. . . and centered it onto the vellum panel.


The 1/8" strips were then glued to the back of the vellum piece on all four sides.


Now came the tricky part.  I applied some liquid glue to the small 1/8" tabs on the luminary base and attached the vellum piece to each side.



As the glue was drying, I cut the panels to be applied to the outside of the luminary.

Blue - 5" x 4", (2) 2 1/4" x 4"
Patterned paper - 4 3/4" x 3 3/4", (2) 2" x 3 3/4"


I layered the patterned paper onto the blue strips and glued them to the outside of the luminary.



I found a package of four large tea lights in Michaels.  The best part about them is that the light can either flicker (one color) or change colors, depending which way you push the switch.





Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you try one of these luminaries for your holiday décor!





4 comments:

kReN said...

Lois, I love this! I hope to make some when we return from our trip. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

That’s beautiful

Susan said...

this is beautiful!

Dorothy S said...

Lois, this is so pretty. Your easel card inspired me as well.
Dorothy aka etsdas